Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil Review

I was sent a jar of Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to review and I have to say, I am so happy they did.

I had read all the benefits of using Coconut Oil in my cooking and had done some research on the brands out there, how they are processed, their nutritional value etc....and Tropical Traditions always gets rave reviews. And now I see why. It was easy to work with, smelled amazing while I was cooking with it and makes everything taste even better than I thought it would.

I made 4 different things today. (I'll post the recipes for anyone interested) Homemade Dog Treats (for the dogs), Pineapple Carrot Birdie bread (for the parrots), Coconut Cookies (for us humans) and Fried Chicken (again for the humans) and am looking for a recipe to make the rats a treat using the coconut oil as well (I just want to keep cooking) and I have to say, they all came out fantastic. Not greasy at all, does not give you a strong Coconut taste at all (I was kind of worried about that when I was cooking the chicken to be honest)

Sorry, I tried to take pictures of the items I made, but my camera has finally died. The battery door has completely fallen off and tape isn't keeping the battery in. R.I.P. my friend, you will be missed.

Here are the recipes:

HOMEMADE DOG TREATS

1/2 cup of peanut butter (I used the creamy kind)

1/4 cup honey

1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (or olive oil)

1 cup chicken broth

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together peanut butter, honey, oil and chicken broth. In a separate bowl, combine flours and oatmeal. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Place dough on flour dusted surface. Roll or press dough out to about 1/4” inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Roll out leftover scraps and cut out as many as possible. Put cut out cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.

My Dogs are loving these!!!!

PINEAPPLE CARROT BIRDIE BREAD

3 cups flour
1 cups sugar (can use less)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
3 eggs
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup coconut oil
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 t. vanilla extract

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon.
In another bowl, beat eggs, add carrots, oil, pineapple, nuts & vanilla.
Stir moist ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened.
Spoon into 2 greased & floured mini loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until loaves test done.

My Birds are singing my praises for this treat!!

COCONUT COOKIES

1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1/2 cup flaked coconut

In a mixing bowl, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cereal and coconut.
Roll into balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.

YUM!!!!!

FRIED CHICKEN

1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 quart buttermilk
1 tablespoon sea salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
coconut oil for frying

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine chicken, buttermilk and salt. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, Italian dressing mix, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Remove chicken from buttermilk, and coat well with flour mixture. Let set on a plate for about 10 minutes.

Fry in hot oil until meat is no longer pink, and breading is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

OH MY!!!! Heaven!!!!

Don't just take me word for it, get some Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions and try these recipes yourself and your pets. Or maybe you have something in mind you would love to try cooking with Coconut Oil

Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment